Monday, March 4, 2013
Happy Monday Ladies!
Hopefully everyone had a eventful weekend, yet one filled with benefit. As some of you ladies may know I am a no longer a fan of using store brought unhealthy household cleaning items , rather using DIY natural completely safe household cleaning items for myself and my family.
With the many reasons why , here is one that may get you thinking as it did me when I learned of this chemical and its hazards that we pay our money for thus bringing the items home and using them around ourselves and our families.
This chemical is called "VOC" ( Volatile Organic Compounds) :
Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are emitted as gases from certain solids or liquids. VOCs include a variety of chemicals, some of which may have short- and long-term adverse health effects. Concentrations of many VOCs are consistently higher indoors (up to ten times higher) than outdoors. VOCs are emitted by a wide array of products numbering in the thousands. Examples include: paints and lacquers, paint strippers, cleaning supplies, pesticides, building materials and furnishings, office equipment such as copiers and printers, correction fluids and carbon less copy paper, graphics and craft materials including glues and adhesives, permanent markers, and photographic solutions.
Organic chemicals are widely used as ingredients in household products. Paints, varnishes, and wax all contain organic solvents, as do many cleaning, disinfecting, cosmetic, degreasing, and hobby products. Fuels are made up of organic chemicals. All of these products can release organic compounds while you are using them, and, to some degree, when they are stored.
EPA's Office of Research and Development's "Total Exposure Assessment Methodology (TEAM) Study" (Volumes I through IV, completed in 1985) found levels of about a dozen common organic pollutants to be 2 to 5 times higher inside homes than outside, regardless of whether the homes were located in rural or highly industrial areas. TEAM studies indicated that while people are using products containing organic chemicals, they can expose themselves and others to very high pollutant levels, and elevated concentrations can persist in the air long after the activity is completed.
To read further ( trust me it's worth reading ) http://www.epa.gov/iaq/voc.html
It is my hope not to ever return to store brought household cleaning items, again. For as long as I have decided to make and use my very own I have yet to find any problems in doing so.
It takes very minimal time, it cost less because whats needed are very few items and can be brought in bulk. I've found it to be effective, I feel safe in knowing germs are removed without wondering if the quality of my lungs are being removed by using chemically loaded items and it's green friendly!
However, if I choose to continuously by and use store brought household cleaning items. I fear subjecting and compromising the health of myself and my family. This article has been very informative for me, and I hope it has done the same for you !
Thanks for stopping by, take care and remember to stay naturally healthy, and fabulous!