BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 1, 2010

BREAST CANCER AWARNESS....



Hello fabulous naturals!

As some of you may know October is breast cancer awareness month.  I say breast cancer awareness needs more than 1 month it's something that we must be aware of everyday, every month, and every year.  Breast cancer has affected my life as well as my oldest daughters life.  In July of this summer my daughter lost her grandmother to lung cancer.  They were extremely close, like best friends my daughter was devastated and continues to struggle with the lost till this very day.  However, my daughters grandmother had been a breast cancer survivor for 25 years....yes, that's right 25 years and it came back in a different form in the lung at stage 4.  She was a wonderful woman and a true fighter, all the way to the very end.

Her story and fight is what really , really made me want to become an advocate for breast cancer awareness, and the importance of women getting mammograms and being aware and familiar with our bodies just as we are with our hair so that we know when something is off, something is wrong.  Ladies, we must be just as passionate about our health, our survival as we are about our hair, our hair products , the ingredients we will or will not use in our hair products, etc.  Cancer in general no matter what type is a very sensitive subject for me , because it has affected me personally on soooo many levels.  I lost my mother to lung cancer when I was 22 ( I miss her soooooo much every single day), my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer 2 years ago, and is currently a cancer survivor.  Then I was diagnosed with border line ovarian cancer last year.  I had a tumor coming from my ovaries the size of a grapefruit and didn't even know it.  Until one night I got extremely sick and had to be rushed to the ER.  To find out I needed  an emergency complete hysterectomy, They took everything.  This had to be done to save my life.  I thank my creator every single day , many, many times a day for allowing me to continue to live and Lovee. I am extremely grateful that I did not have full blown cancer.  Borderline simply means there wasn't enough bad cells to turn into cancer, Alhamdulliaah! ( praise be to Allaah)

Now with that came full blown menopause, I was in full menopause  at age 39 and my doctor had me began  my mammograms at age 39.  I just went for my second annual in September and everything came back fine, alhamdulliaah!(praise be to Allaah).  Although I am a regular checker of my breast, It is still extremely important for me to continue to get my annual mammogram and believe me I do not plan on missing not one, god willing.

I felt it important to share these stories with you ladies in hopes that it may touch some one who maybe afraid of getting their very first mammogram.  If you are.... there is nothing to be afraid of, grab a friend to go along with you for support.  My husband goes along with me for support.

Ladies if you have reached that age or are approaching it, just please go get your mammograms.  They are very important.  Below I will post an article that I found , to touch more on the subject...

Breast Cancer Awareness

The best way to find breast cancer early is with a mammogram. If you are a woman age 50 years or older, be sure to have a screening mammogram every two years.

Is breast cancer the most common cause of death for women?

No. Although many women get breast cancer, it is not a common cause of death. Heart disease is the number one cause of death among women age 40 and above, followed by stroke, lung cancer, and lung diseases. Breast cancer is the fifth leading cause of death.

In 2006 (the latest year for which statistics are available), 191,410 women were diagnosed with breast cancer, and 40,820 women died from the disease.

What are the symptoms of breast cancer?

When breast cancer starts out, it is too small to feel and does not cause signs and symptoms. As it grows, however, breast cancer can cause changes in how the breast looks or feels. Symptoms may include—

New lump in the breast or underarm (armpit).
Thickening or swelling of part of the breast.
Irritation or dimpling of breast skin.
Redness or flaky skin in the nipple area or the breast.
Pulling in of the nipple or pain in the nipple area.
Nipple discharge other than breast milk , including blood
Any change in the size or the shape of the breast.
Pain in any area of the breast.

What is a mammogram?

A mammogram is an X-ray of the breast. Doctors use a mammogram to look for early signs of breast cancer. Having regular mammograms can lower the risk of dying from breast cancer. If you are age 50 to 74 years, be sure to have a screening mammogram every two years. If you are age 40–49 years, talk to your doctor about when and how often you should have a screening mammogram.

Why should I have a mammogram?

Regular mammograms are the best tests doctors have to find breast cancer early, sometimes up to three years before it can be felt. When their breast cancer is found early, many women go on to live long and healthy lives.

Where can I go to get screened?

Most likely, you can get screened for breast cancer at a clinic, hospital, or doctor's office. If you want to be screened for breast cancer, call your doctor's office. They can help you schedule an appointment. Most health insurance companies pay for the cost of breast cancer screening tests.

How can I lower my risk of breast cancer?

Control your weight and exercise.

Know your family history of breast cancer. If you have a mother, sister, or daughter with breast cancer, ask your doctor what is your risk of getting breast cancer and how you can lower your risk.

Find out the risks and benefits of hormone replacement therapy.

Limit the amount of alcohol you drink.

Can men get breast cancer?

Men can also get breast cancer, but it is not very common. For every 100 cases of breast cancer, less than 1 is in men.

Data source:
U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States Cancer Statistics: 1999-2006 Incidence and Mortality Web-based Report. Atlanta (GA): Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and National Cancer Institute; 2010

http://www.cdc.gov/Features/BreastCancerAwareness/

Ladies, please get your mammograms TODAY, or take a loved one to get a mammogram. 
PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD......

                                                                              Take care.
 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. That's a hard road that you've walked -- losing family members and surviving it yourself. I thank God that you caught it before it became full-blown cancer. Your comment on my post came to mind this week and I will be walking for my family, my friends and your family this Sunday.

Let us be just as aware of breast cancer and cancer in general as we are with our hair and hair products.

Unknown said...

@Theaccidentalnatural...yes it was a extremely hard time for me both then and recently. I am truly , truly, truly grateful to have been brought out of it. Thanks a bunch for commenting, and Thanks for thinking of us while walking.

We must continue to do what we can, when we can in the way of awareness of all types of cancers.

Thanks for stopping by, take care:)

Chayah said...

Thanks for the reminder..I do need to schedule a mammo soon. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. This post brought tears to my eyes. My mother had a brief bout with breast cancer and won. My father was not so lucky and died from colon cancer 15 yrs ago. It is VERY prevalent in our community. It is so important to take better care of ourselves moreso nowadays than ever imo. Thank you.

Unknown said...

@Vee...You are quite welcome:). I am so sorry to hear of your loss as well. cancer is a serious thing, hope they find a cure ASAP. Remember go get that mammogram :) it is so very important. Thanks vee for sharing your comment, and stopping by, take care.

Tiffany said...

I've been checked and cleared until 40. Thank goodness. Cancer is scary business, it has touched too many of my own loved ones this year. Pray for a cure!

Unknown said...

@Tiffany...Thats great tiffany!...Yes it is serious business indeed. I pray often for a cure:). Thanks for commenting...take care:)

Coilybella said...

I am so sorry about your loss and thank God for saving you.

Unknown said...

@Coilybella....Thanks tinuke...yes thank god indeed!

Thanks for stoping by tinuke, take care :0)