BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

CASTOR OIL A HUMECTANT ???


Hey there fabulous naturals!

OK...OK...I had no idea Castor oil is a humectant !?! .  I was visiting one of my favorite natural sites , a fellow fabulous natural Shawnystheone over at A happy Nappy Affair. In which you can visit here http://cerendipitystheone.blogspot.com/



  Where she is doing a great serious on what to do for winter hair.  Where other fabulous naturals share their tips, ideas , and beautiful protective styles for the winter weather.  It was then that a fabulous natural shared here winter regimen and stated that Castor oil is a Humectant !....what ! ...I gasped , I never knew.
 
So, here is a bit about Castor for those that may have been in the dark, like myself and didn't know that Castor oil is a humectant.    The germicidal, insecticidal and fungicidal properties of Rincin acid in Castor oil protect the scalp and hair from microbial and fungal infections.  Which are two causes for hair loss.  Its said that Castor oil cleanses the scalp of any impurities that may inhibit growth. 
 
To go further, the fatty acids nourish the hair and helps in retaining moisture.  Castor oil is in fact a humectant and acts the very same as glycerin and honey.  So please use caution if you are like myself who tends to stay away from any humectants in the colder months. I in fact love Castor oil to seal the ends of my hair with but I've decided to let Castor oil go until next year :(  But, ...but if you are not like myself and using humectants doesn't affect your hair during the colder months.   Here is a tip, mix your Castor oil with another oil to aid in the sealing process .  So that , that oil is sealing  in the moisture, to prevent dryness from the Castor oil.  Maybe this will help.  OK, Thanks a bunch for reading!...until next time
 
Remember, stay naturally fabulous !
 
                                           TAKE CARE :)
 

10 comments:

Coilybella said...

I actually found out when I was doing my reearch on Castor Oil that it is a humectant but I ignored it for some reason. You are right about being cautious of the colder months. Oh men, now I have to give up my castor oil too? I love castor oil!!!!!!

Coilybella said...

I also read that panthenol is a humectant. What do you think Zainab? I have been holding off on buying panthenol till next year for that reason

Unknown said...

@Tinuke...I feel your pain, lol !
Thanks for stopping by Tinuke, take care.

Unknown said...

@Tinuke...you know I've heard that panthenol is a humectant, also. For that reson I wouldn't use it until next year. I really try to stay away from as many humectants as possible in the colder months. Hope this helps. Thanks for stopping by tinuke, take care :)

Tester said...

I did notice that my castor oil wasn't sealing my hair as well as it was before. I'll try mixing it with coconut oil. Thanks so much for posting!

Unknown said...

@Onyx Rose..you are quite welcome! and thanks so much for stopping by, take care.

Atiya_BK_Chick said...

Oh no!! I live for my castor oil!! I've been trying to thicken up mu thin spots. So if it's bad, what can I use instead for that purpose?

nappy headed black girl said...

Whoa, this is quite a surprise. Most people use castor oil as the sealant. Now we're learning that we need something on top of it to prevent it from drawing out moisture?

Very interesting. I was just about to try some, too. Thanks, Zainb. I always learn something on your blog :-)

Unknown said...

@nappy headed black girl...I was just as surprised as you and heartbroken ( lol) But, I guess I must put it away until next year :(

Thanks for stopping NHBG, take care.

Unknown said...

@NATURAL BLACK ONE...I feel your pain, seriously. Remember its not bad, its just recommended that it not be used in the colder months because its a humectant :((

So, I've went back to emu oil , its a bit pricey but has great results. Give it a try , not sure how it works for ends of our hair as in sealing. But as for your thin spots it may help. I use it for my scalp from time to time . i love it! hope that helps. Keep me posted. Thanks a bunch for stopping by , take care.